7.06.2008

Disposable Razors

I have a ton of work I have to catch up on today because it's all due tomorrow ~ eek! But I had an email from my Uncle this morning and in it, he mentioned the trouble with disposable razors. The EPA estimates that over 2 billion disposable razors end up in landfills every year in the US. So before I go, I wanted to leave you with a solution. If you don't already, at least get a razor with a reusable handle (so all you have to buy is the blades)—a much better option than purchasing those plastic bags of 10 disposables. Plus, the quality is usually much better.

For men, you could go old-school and use one of those "Straight" razors that they use in real barbershops with the double edge blades and use natural soaps and creams. And I'm guessing you just resharpen the blade? Sounds like a cool way to go. Revive a lost art. Maybe a little dangerous? Here's an article on shaving with a Straight razor from Mother Earth News. And if you need a "how to" video, check out YouTube, there are plenty.

So I'll leave you with this product that I found when I was searching for biodegradable cutlery. It's made by Preserve and the handle is made from 100% recycled plastic and you can return them for recycling using their postage-paid label. They use them to make plastic lumber for park benches, decks and more.

I was surprised to find that these razors are available all over the place. In the Boston area, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Crate & Barrel, Shaw's, Stop & Shop, Roche Brothers and Harvest Co-op are all distributors.

I guess you still have the issue of throw-away blades with that option.

Oh and I haven't mentioned electric razors ... that's because they suck up electricity. Most stay plugged in 24/7. Consider giving up on that fix :)

2 comments:

meme said...

Ditch the razor, get laser. Not to mention the 2 billion razors a year in our landfills, the 7,000 gallons a year in water women alone use shaving, the cost of waxing your bikini over a 5 yr period adds up to $3,000, I know right!, and still the ingrowns and irritation and time. I do laser, it's what I do for the environment, my skin and my pocket book.

RG said...

I'm a guy and I use a straight razor. It's very rewarding and environmentally friendly.